Sunday, August 1, 2010

How did the "kid's discussion" lead to Europe?

Call it being scared of getting closer to 30 or call it being secretly jealous of women my age with egg shaped bellies...call it what you will, but the kid discussion has been happening a lot lately in our marriage. It's crazy! Until literally a few weeks ago, I've never really wanted kids, I hated babysitting as a teenager, I've grown tired of endless posts on facebook by love stricken mommies (they should seriously think about a facebook for moms), and I am not one to oooohhh and ahhhhh over other peoples' children. So why all of the sudden do I have this need to maybe produce a child of my own. Is it because our close friends are trying to conceive and others are talking about trying? Is it because I turn 28 in a few months, and I realize my eggs are withering away as we speak? Are all the perfect families I see every Sunday at church making me yearn for a family of my own? I don't know what it is, but this baby talk is driving Michael insane. I can be certain of that. Finally, after the 10th or so conversation we had about kids this week, Michael sweetly turned to me and said, "Brandi, I'm sorry, but right now not one ounce of me wants chidren." GULP! Not one ounce...it was hard to swallow as he told me this on one of our nightly walks this week, but hey, at least he's honest. Of course I didn't know what to say, so I kept walking for a while, then I finally asked him why he doesn't want children. He's so good with kids, so why not have kids of his own? His response was simple. He likes being married and being able to do what we want, and he feels there is so much more for us to do by ourselves before we have kids. So what was my clever response..."Well, fine Michael. If you don't want kids because there is so much we need to accomplish, then let's quit talking about all the things we want to do and actually do them!" We've been talking about a trip to Europe ever since we got married. I had the opportunity to go in 2003 right after we started dating, but Michael didn't get the chance to go with me. We've both been talking about going together for years, but of course talking and doing are two different things. We talk a lot..... I pry a little deeper as we walk, "What about that trip to Europe we are always talking about?" He responds, "Is that what you want to do?" "Of course that's what I want to do...I would love to go!" (Putting my intense hatred of flying aside of course)! "Alright, let's go" he says. By the end of our walk, the trip was planned. For five years, I've been trying to get him to actually take me to Europe rather than just talk about it. And all I had to do was tell him I wanted babies! Who knows, maybe I will get both! (He's going to kill me after reading this). So, if all goes as planned, we hope to go to Europe next spring to celebrate our 5th anniversary! I wonder if it will do me some good to bring up kids around my birthday this year? I bet he would get me something good!

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad you finally decided to write. I miss reading your blog everday it's so great and your such an amazing writer.
    I wonder if I could figure out something to talk about to get me a trip somewhere.
    Looking forward to reading the next blog.

    ReplyDelete