Saturday, January 5, 2013

21 Days of Prayer

Twice a year, our church participates in 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting.  Tomorrow is the first day of the fast, and Michael and I will be eating from the Daniel Fast plan and getting up every morning for an hour of prayer.   Both of us feel we really need this time with God in our lives.  After a very busy holiday season, I know that I am looking forward to this fast and to getting closer to God.  I am excited to see what He has in store for us during this time.

The Daniel Fast is a very popular fast for the 21 Days.  It is a biblically based partial fast from the Book of Daniel in chapter 1 when Daniel asked to be strengthened by refraining from the king's choice foods.    For three weeks, Daniel ate only fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds, legumes, whole grains, and water.  Simply put, Daniel ate a more restrictive diet than a vegan, but he was restored physically and spiritually by his diet.

Here is a brief food list:

Foods Allowed
All Fruits
All Vegetables
All Beans & Legumes
All Raw Nuts and Seeds, including unsweetened nut butters
Unprocessed Whole Grains
Quality Oils (not vegetable oil)
Water, Almond Milk, Soy
Seasonings

Foods to Avoid
Meat, Animal Products, and Dairy
Sugar and Natural Sweeteners (honey)
Leavened Bread and Yeast (no whole wheat bread)
Processed & Deep Fried Food
Solid Fats
Alcohol, caffeine, carbonated drinks

Michael and I are allowing ourselves a cheat item.  I will be enjoying one cup of coffee a day without my creamer, and he will be enjoying whole wheat tortillas.

Michael and I followed the fast for 7 of the 21 days last year, and because we didn't plan very well, it was a bit frustrating.  This year, we are going to complete 21 days; and therefore, have planned better with the hope of focusing more on God and less on the food.  In my opinion, there are lots of tasty options for this fast, but to make complete and tasty meals, it does take a lot of ingredients since there are no convenient foods allowed.  It's amazing what you cannot use in cooking once you read the ingredients.  More ingredients accounts for more time, more planning, and more money.  We shopped last night at Whole Foods and Wal-Mart for week one of our food, and I would be lying if I told you that we weren't overwhelmed with the cost of the groceries.  As we left the store, I asked God to keep me calm and to provide for our monthly food budget, which will no doubt be over this month.  I am believing this experience will be worth it!

Our plan is to make seven dinners, including soups, Italian and Mexican inspired dishes, which will be used as leftovers for lunch.  For us, the more difficult task is finding breakfast and snack items that work since no eggs, dairy, sugar, or baked goods are allowed.  So today, I made two pans of "breakfast bars" we can eat all week along with fruit smoothies. I made a large pan of baked oatmeal from The Ultimate Daniel Fast, and I made a smaller pan of Coconut Bars from the same site.  These bars contain no sugar, eggs, or oil.  They are sweetened with sugar free dried fruit and unsweetened applesauce and coconut.  I also made Date Honey by boiling and simmering medjool dates and water then pureeing them to the consistency of apple butter.  Oh my gosh is this stuff good!!!  We will use it as a treat for spreading on apples or adding to smoothies.  I am impressed with how all of these recipes turned out, and it is unbelievable how good they are for us without any sugar.

BakedOatmeal2_zps93e731c7 Yummy Baked Oatmeal Bars

DSC_0264_zps92a9947e Coconut Bars...with a bite missing in the corner :)

I plan to share our experience during the next 21 days, and I pray that it will be a wonderful and nourishing experience for our bodies and our spirits.  I look forward to the days ahead!

A great resource for this fast is The Ultimate Daniel Fast web site that I have linked to above.


No comments:

Post a Comment