Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On Eating Flexitarian

FLEXITARIAN...That word makes me laugh...we have to put a label on everything these days I guess.

This week, I planned a flexitarian diet to keep the food experiment going.  This was the plan:  Cook five dinners, have leftovers for lunch, and make smoothies or oatmeal for breakfast.  Sometimes Michael just grabs a piece of fruit as he goes out the door.  I chose five gluten free recipes.  In a very short time, I have come to realize I feel better without gluten in my diet although I occasionally splurge on a sandwich.



I selected five recipes from Gluten Free Goddess.  Let me just say how much I love reading food blogs!  I never have to buy one cookbook again for the rest of my life, and I love reading comments from readers who have tried the recipes.

I have made three of the recipes so far, and they have been easy to follow and have tasted better than I expected.  The Irish potato soup was my favorite!  Food that tastes good, is easy to make, and is good for us makes me happy, but the best part about going flexitarian was the cheaper grocery bill.  Buying less meat and dairy made a huge difference this week.

Three of the five recipes called for meat: White Chicken Chili, Irish Potato Soup, and Quinoa Taco Salad.   I decided to reduce the meat by half, which in turn made me buy a few more vegetables to add to each dish, making the dishes healthier and saving cash.

On a side note, I started adding organic whey protein and secret veggies to our morning smoothies.   Michael likes the protein, but he's not so sure about the spinach :)!

I feel like I have more energy lately.  I've been taking my vitamin D3 and B12 supplements, practicing yoga, and getting more sun.  Yesterday, my body ached a lot, and I was very fatigued, so I don't know what that's all about.  My anxiety levels have been good for the past month, so that's always welcomed news.  I hope I continue to get better, and my efforts will pay off once I go back to the doctor.  

1 comment:

  1. Flexitarian! That's a new one on me!

    Those 5 meals sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete