Monday, January 31, 2011

The Library

This weekend was glorious! It was 72 degrees on Saturday, and there was no cloud in the sky. So...what did I do? I went to the library! I know what you are thinking...dorky huh? I haven't stepped foot in a public library since I was a little girl visiting Laman Library in North Little Rock, AR. I can barely remember the experience at Laman Library, but I do vividly remember the school libraries I visited quite often at St. Joseph's and at St. Mary's when I was in pre-school and in elementary school. I can still close my eyes and picture the layout of both places. There weren't any computers back then, just shelves of books, desks butted up against each other, and a few tables. They were such small places! I can still smell the musty books and old leather. The library at St. Joseph's didn't have carpet, and it always smelled like pine cleaner as I'm sure the nuns waxed the floors nearly every day! My favorite memory of the library as a child is going to the book fairs that were held at school. Extra temporary shelves were brought in and so many new and shiny books with the most colorful illustrated covers were on display! My parents always gave me money to purchase a few books, and I remember being so excited while in deep turmoil because I could not decide between the zillion books I wanted to read! I don't know why I love books so much. I always have and always will. I'm not biased towards any genre except I don't particularly like romance novels at the checkout counter of Wal-Mart. I will admit, though, for a while I wasn't reading much at all. Most of my time was spent in front of the tv or with a magazine. In an effort to get back to what I loved so much, I made a resolution to read more this year. I also thought it would be awesome to take a trip to the library for the first time in years. On Saturday afternoon, I became the proud owner of a Pelham Library Card! And now...I'm overwelmed with choices, and I don't know what to check out. I didn't even think about the possibility of checking out cd's, dvd's, and audio books! WOW! The first book I checked out was 1,000 Places to See Before You Die (USA & Canada). Saturday night, Michael and I kept turning the pages happily pointing out the places we've already seen, which was maybe 45 out of 1,000! Tonight, I am going to swing by after work and pick up a classic novel, and on Friday, I'm going to check out the first season of Glee and watch it all over again this weekend. I love the library!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See and would recommend it!

    ReplyDelete