Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Week Into Thirty

I'm officially 30 years and 1 week old today! Nothing feels different though I never expected it would. I'm just thankful I've lasted 3 decades!

I had a few days of celebrating around some delicious food and great company. Is there a better way to celebrate a momentous occasion? I celebrated an early birthday with my two friends Baylee and Lindsey at a local Mexican restaurant. Michael and I celebrated a dinner together on Sunday before my big day. On my actual birthday, we made one of our favorite dinners - homemade chili. On Wednesday, my mom came in town for Thanksgiving, and we celebrated my birthday together at Hot and Hot Fish Club in Southside. Hot and Hot is famous around here, and I have wanted to go for quite a while, especially when the owner Chris Hastings beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef earlier this year. What better time than my 30th birthday to splurge! We made a reservation at the Chef's Bar that encircles the open kitchen, and we got to watch the chef's prepare all of the dishes. It was a great atmosphere and an unforgettable experience with my two favorite people in the world!



We stayed in town for Thanksgiving because Michael had to work a basketball tournament over the weekend.  Since so many of his colleagues had to stay around town, his coworker Michelle hosted everyone at her house for Thanksgiving.  We thought it would be fun to enjoy a big Thanksgiving feast together.  My friend Baylee joined my mom, Michael and I.  We had the job of making sweet potato casserole, dressing and dessert.  This was our first time making dressing, and we need a do-over next year!  It tasted good, but it wasn't the prettiest thing to look at.  In fact, it got placed at the end of the table for everyone to scoop on their plate last!


Baylee and I at Thanksgiving

After dinner, we hung out together, played in a bouncy house of all things, then tried not to fall asleep!  Mom and I really wanted to do some late Thanksgiving night or early Black Friday shopping, but we didn't have it in us.  Instead, we were in bed by 9 pm Thanksgiving night.  One day, I will engage in Black Friday shopping if only for the experience of people watching.  At 30, I'm proud that I have never partaken in the ritual, so out of pride, I may never give in :).

Mom and I did spend quite a bit of time shopping on Friday and Saturday.  We didn't buy much, but we looked around for hours!  She did get me a few things for my birthday, which was really great of her.  I thought her coming to Birmingham was a good enough present!

I am excited to see some more of our families over the Christmas holidays.  I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment