Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Noah Sean McGreevey

Happy 1 Week Birthday Noah!

Noah Sean McGreevey entered the world on Wednesday, January 8 at 9:09 am, weighing 6 pounds 14 ounces and measuring 19.5 inches.  I couldn't have asked for a better birth experience in terms of laboring in the hospital, but planning for Noah's birth up until we checked into the hospital didn't come without some anxiety.

When I found out I had gestational diabetes, I was told my chances for a vaginal birth were lowered by 50% because most gestational babies are larger due to insulin production and blood sugar levels.  I was also told I could not go past my due date due to possible complications.  I remember crying so hard at that appointment because I wanted a vaginal birth so much, and I left the doctor's office determined to keep myself and Noah healthy.  For 12 weeks, I ate eggs almost every single day and more salads with protein than I can remember.  I also walked every day, and made sure any sugars I ate were burned off with exercise.  I survived the holidays by eating just a few sweets to feel normal, but other than that, I watched my sugars the entire 3rd trimester.

When Dr. Estes began checking me at 36 weeks.  I was at 0.  I wasn't worried then, but each week went by with no progress.  At 38 weeks I was getting nervous, and I began trying things to naturally induce from spicy food to walking with one foot on the pavement and one foot on the curb to supposedly help my hips relax.  (yeah I looked ridiculous)  When 39 weeks and 2 days came, I was still at 0 and an induction was scheduled with the option of a scheduled c-section the next morning if no progress was made once the pitocin was started.  I cried and cried at that appointment because I felt like my choice had been taken away.  It may seem silly because there is nothing wrong with a c-section or induction, but I had pictured myself and wanted to experience going into labor naturally during my pregnancy.  After that appointment, I kept trying to get my body ready for natural labor induction.  I tried every trick in the book.  I scheduled an appointment for an induction massage the day before going to the hospital.  The massage was amazing, and the therapist used acupressure points to prepare my body for labor and to improve my circulation.  Many of her clients have gone into labor the day of the massage.

On Tuesday night, we checked into the hospital to begin ripening my cervix.  I was filled with so much anxiety all day, but as soon as we checked in, I felt some peace.  The nurse checked me for dilation at 9:00 pm, and to my surprise, I was 3cm dilated and 40% effaced.  I was also contracting every 2 minutes, but I never realized it until the monitor was placed on my abdomen.  There was no need to use ripening medication, and I was able to rest in the hospital before starting low dose pitocin at 2:30 am to regulate my contractions.  At 4 am, my water broke on it's own and my contractions grew stronger.  I got an epidural at 5:30 am when I was dilated to 5 1/2 centimeters.  I wanted to wait until 6 or 7 centimeters, but the doctor suggested I go ahead and get the epidural since labor was progressing quickly.  I am so glad I took his advice because by 7:00 am, I progressed to 9 1/2 centimeters.  At 8:00 am, they set up the room for delivery, and I began pushing at 8:30 am.  At 9:05, they called for Dr. Estes and told me not to push anymore.  Dr. Estes arrived and was attempting to scrub in when I told Michael the baby was coming, and sure enough Noah made his appearance in the world with Dr. Estes literally catching him with a surgical boot!

So many aspects of that day are a blur, but I am so thankful that I got to experience an even better birth than I expected.  I don't know if my efforts had too much to do with my birth experience, but I am glad I worked hard at keeping my sugars down, eating healthy and trying natural induction methods before the hospital, and I would do it all over again if I had to.

I remember a friend telling me that labor was the easy part.  Raising children is what will kill you.  We've only had Noah for 6 days, and it's been wonderful, but I would have to agree.  The sleep deprivation and needs of a newborn are much more than I imagined, but when he stares at me and makes the most heavenly noises I've ever heard, the sleeplessness and frustration seem to fade.

We are very happy to be the parents of our little Noah Sean.  We aren't too sure what Scarlett thinks just yet, but we hope she is warming up to the little guy!











1 comment: