Saturday, September 11, 2010

It's Never Too Late...

To Remember I remember exactly where I was 9 years ago today when we witnessed the horrible attacks on September 11, 2001. I was a freshman at Henderson, and I was sitting in my dorm room getting ready to head to my 8 a.m. class when I saw the video of the first plane crashing into the the World Trade Center. I remember how long it took me before I realized what I was watching was actually happening and was not an amateur video of some other place at some other time. It was the most shocking scene I have witnessed to this day, and though it happened a thousand miles away, I along with everyone around me, was terrified at what else could happen to us! I cannot believe it has been 9 years since these attacks because it still seems to be a fresh memory...one that remains a topic of discussion for many every day. It was a day that caused more hatred and racism than we all thought possible, it changed political views, peaceful citizens turned to anger and smaller acts of racism and terrorism on our own soil, and it launched a war that has killed thousands and still rages today. Unfortunately it is the hatred and violence these attacks caused still making headlines today, the most recent headline being Gainsville, Florida Pastor Terry Jones' plan to burn Korans as a protest against a plan for an Islamic cultural center to be built close to the site of the 911 attacks. So far the Korans have not been burned, but what has occurred is a backlash of both Christians and Muslims coming together in the name of peace and community to show that Pastor Jones' act is just as despicable as that of the terrorists 9 years ago. To me, he is only giving the terrorists exactly what he wants, and he is out of his mind. Fortunately, in the wake of the increasing racism against Muslims that have occurred in our country, there are people who have become more open-minded and realize that Muslim is not Muslim, just as Christian is not Christian. There are many forms of both religions, and millions of Muslims are ashamed and don't support the acts of the radicals 9 years ago. I remember the fear, confusion, and anger I felt 9 years ago. I also discovered a sense of patriotism and pride in being American because I knew we would bounce back and become stronger, but we can't move forward with hate in our hearts. What I choose to remember is the good that came from this day, and the selfless acts of heroes who exhibited the true American Spirit. It is their legacy that we should remember! It's Never Too Late To Remember Our memories are a treasure trove - our living photo album. All the pivotal moments are captured there. Even some we've jammed into the dark recesses. Take time to visit your memories. Spool through them. Enjoy them. Be sobered by them. Learn from them. Then add to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment