Thursday, May 26, 2011

This City is OLD!

If I had to pick a "bad" day in Boston , I would pick our first day. Speaking for myself, I was still so tired from flying the night before, and the weather was pretty nasty. I am glad the weather got significantly better each day we were in the city-which you definitely notice in the pictures.

I don't think we got up until 10:00 a.m. that morning, and we didn't head out until close to 1:00 p.m. We headed downtown to eat lunch at a place Michael was dying to try. So...let me just say that the only research Michael did for this trip was logging on to Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives to find the show's picks for Boston. He meticulously listed out the Triple D locations and took the time to map them out :)! The first place we ate was a place called Sam LaGrassa's, a restaurant in an alley known for its hand cut meats, huge sandwiches, and chipotle pastrami. I opted for a classic reuben, and Michael went for the pastrami.



My stomach hurt for three days in Boston, and I think this sandwich was responsible. I didn't even eat the whole thing, but it was huge!



After lunch, we waddled around the city, and we started off on the north half of The Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail is a famous trail marked by red bricks throughout the city that takes you through the famous Revolutionary sites. On The Freedom Trail, we walked through a small block of the only remaining part of central downtown that was not burned in the Boston Fire hundreds of years ago. In the middle, stands the Ye Olde Union Oyster House, the oldest restaurant in the country!


We also toured Paul Revere's cozy house in the North End of Boston




After Paul Revere's House, we toured the Old North Church. This church is famous for its lanterns in the steeple that signaled Paul Revere to make his famous midnight ride to Lexington and Concord to warn that the British were invading.



An interesting feature of the Old North Church is its boxed pews. I have never seen these before, and it was strange to me, but actually very practical. The seats are arranged in perfect boxes with high walls, and while they look weird, they were built to keep everyone warm while at church. New Englanders would bring in their own coal and place them in warming boxes in the pews to provide heat during church.

I loved the old cemeteries we saw in Boston. Some of the tombstones didn't even look real to me because they were so worn and weathered.



We walked across the Charles River to Charlestown and saw the USS Constitution. This is the oldest war ship in the world that is still afloat.




Our last stop was Bunker Hill. This is the monument where the battle was fought. There is a beautiful neighborhood that surrounds it now.






After our first day in the city, we turned in early and had a homecooked dinner. I hate to admit how early we went to bed that night, but I was still exhausted from traveling, eating my weight in corned beef , and walking in the drizzling rain through the city. I had to get a good night's rest and get up early for our big day at Harvard!

No comments:

Post a Comment