Thursday, January 14, 2010

Help Us Help Haiti

As all of you have seen the headlines racing across all major news stations, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 rocked Haiti 10 miles from the capital of Port-au-Prince and has decimated the country. I'll be the first to admit, that with the Lane Kiffin news around Knoxville, I didn't really pay much attention to the earthquake's devastation until this morning while I witnessed coverage of the Haitian survivors on ABC News. I decided this morning that Michael and I must do something to help these people who were already suffering before the earthquake struck. Michael and I decided to donate to help the people of Haiti, and I encourage all of you who read this to help them to. I know that many of us are very skeptical of "philanthropic" organizations who claim to help those in need, so I wanted to share an email I received from the Young Democrats of America that gives names of reputable organizations you can trust to put your donation to good use: "The International Affairs Committee is working to coordinate efforts to help the people of Haiti. While we know that needs are many and the full impact of the earthquake is yet to be known, there are a few things that you can do right now.

• Text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross' efforts to aid the victims of the tragic Haitian earthquake. The donation will be charged to your cell phone bill. • Text "Yele" to 501501 to donate $5 to Yele Haiti, an organization started by Haitian musician Wyclef Jean to provide humanitarian aid to Haiti. • Donate your Facebook status or Twitter: "Young Democrat asks you to text "Haiti" to 90999 right now from your mobile phone and give $10 to the American Red Cross or text "Yele" to 501501 to donate $5 via your cell phone bill to Wyclef Jean's Yele organization." • Donate online: the International Affairs Committee has identified several organizations that are assisting with the efforts in Haiti:


o Unicef o Save the Children o Mercy Corp

Right now the need is monetary donations to assist with rebuilding the infrastructure so that additional aid can be received and properly disbursed. The International Affairs Committee will send additional information regarding canned food, clothing and supply drives or volunteer opportunities in the near future." Michael and I chose to donate to the American Red Cross. We donated online, but there are several accessible ways to donate to the disaster relief fund in Haiti. It is my hope that all of you who read this will pitch in and donate at least $10, but if you are unable to donate monetarily, I ask that you pray for all of the Haitians who are suffering from this terrible catastrophy. I thank God that Michael and I are safe, healthy, and happy, and I pray that He will lift the spirits of all of the survivors and give them the strength to carry on.

1 comment:

  1. Brandi I'm so proud of you and Michael for thinking of others and helping out.

    ReplyDelete