Thursday, January 21, 2010

Name Games

Let's face it, my name has been butchered a lot! It's an easy name to say, and it rolls right off your tounge, but when it comes to strangers spelling my name, something mysterious happens! Today, I witnessed the worst mispelling of my name EVER, but I'll get to that in a minute. The name game started long before I met Michael and became a "McGreevey." It all began with my first name long, long ago. The go-to spelling for my name ends in "Y." I don't know if people are all too familiar with the whiskey, like to associate my name with "candy," or simply don't give my parents credit for being a little creative because they never seem to get it right! Trust me, as a young girl, I checked out all the gift shop displays that offered personalized key chains, door plates, and your very own spoon, and I never found Brandi with an "I." My maiden name was even better. Gullett, pronounced like "mullet" with a G, was first butchered in my kindergarten yearbook. There I was in my first class picture looking so cute, and they had named me "Brandi Bullet!" I was a mortified 6 year old! For years to come I prepared myself for the first day of class and waited to hear how my teacher would pronounce my last name. Gillette (like the razor) was a popular favorite and Gool-lay, though it sounded much more dignified and French was the second most popular choice! I was happy to acquire the name McGreevey. What an easy name to pronounce and spell! To me, it looks exactly how it sounds, and I have learned to forgive those who leave out the extra "e" at the end. It sneaks up on you if you're not used to it. That's really the only issues I've had with people spelling my name, and it is so nice to have a last name that people pronounce and spell correctly...at least until today! I was honored with being selected as the 2009 Employee of the Year at Fox Den. Aside from the great gifts that come along with the title, having your name added to the Employee of the Year plaque is another perk of the award. Well...my coveted name plate came in today! You can't imagine the excitement I felt tearing through the package which held the trophy that would be permanently placed on the country club wall. I finally pulled it from the final envelope, and my heart immediatley sank. There it was in big bold letters:
BANDI MCGREEVEX

2009 Employee of the Year


2 comments:

  1. I hope that Fox Den will order a new one, or maybe they will let you. I'm so sorry, Bandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to hang it on my wall in my office because it's too funny not too!

    ReplyDelete