Friday, December 13, 2013

McBaby's Gender Neutral Nursery

When we decided that we would not find out the gender of our baby, I knew that creating the nursery would be a challenging but fun and creative project.  I was very excited about the challenge.  Almost immediately, I wanted to create a nursery straight out of an Ikea magazine or from one of my favorite nursery tours at Apartment Therapy. I was picturing clean lines, modern furniture, stark white or gray walls and primary colored accents.  But then it all changed because of a chair....

My one nursery requirement was a big comfy glider, but when I began searching for the perfect glider, I quickly realized we could easily spend half of our nursery budget.  I didn't give up, and I searched for used gliders every day until I finally found one on Craigslist for $300 cheaper than I could find anywhere else.  We bought it the day I found it although I knew there was nothing modern about it, and so my vision changed.  And I couldn't be happier with how our nursery has turned out!

Once I refocused from stark white and modern to soft and sweet, we painted the walls a light green called "White Willow" after going through several samples of green paint.  I wanted all white furniture but made sure it was a bit more modern in case we have a boy, and I new I wanted very neutral textiles in various shades of white, cream and taupe that would go with any color once the baby arrived.   We found the softest rug known to man after searching for a while, and it was the final piece that made the nursery come together.  And by the way, Scarlett is obsessed with the rug.  We catch her in the nursery all the time snuggled up or rolling around on it.  Poor thing has no idea what is coming and why that rug is there in the first place!

The nursery is peaceful, soft and calm, and I love the addition of bunnies and lambs as well as all of the books we have from our sweet book shower.  The nursery is as complete as it will be before McBaby's arrival, but I look forward to adding some personal girl or boy touches.  I have reserved the blank wall in the nursery for our first family portraits we are taking in January.  My favorite things in the room are the personalized lamb and bunny art pieces that have special Bible verses, and I love the lamb mobile that hangs above the crib.   And of course I love the chair!








No comments:

Post a Comment