Sunday, February 21, 2010

FOR THE KIDS! A post by Michael

Guy here again for the first solo guest blog appearance. I have recently awoken from a 14 hour slumber after attending Dance Marathon 2010 at the University of Tennessee. For those of you outside of Big Ten country (where they go completely insane for Dance Marathon) DM at Tennessee is a year of fundraising for the East Tennessee Children’s Hospital capped off by a 15 hour event that celebrates the money raised and shows support for the children and families served by the hemotology and oncology clinics of ETCH. The amazing thing is that aside from some support from our Student Activities office and the development office from ETCH, the entire thing is student run which makes the $38,000 raised all that more impressive. It was honor to help out the cause and here are some observations from the event that began at 8:30PM on Friday, February 19th and concluded at 12:00PM on Saturday the 20th. 8:37PM – Registration is moving a bit slower than the previous year, but that was to be expected. Last year’s attendance of around 450 students was inflated by some student organizations requiring their members to attend, but this year organizations were told not to do so. Quality over quantity is the new mantra and it makes the event more meaningful for those who independently choose to participate. 10:30PM- Registration concludes with 202 registered dancers and with the students on the executive committee and the morale dancers, I would say total attendance is around 300 students. 11:27PM – The event is officially opened in the gymnasium with the UT ROTC presenting the colors during the national anthem. Patriotism Reigns. 11:55PM- After several introductions and rules explanations, the first of the performers takes the stage. The Jim Linehan Dance Crew from New York ascends to the stage with Jim flanked by two female dancers dressed in the image of Lady GaGa complete with stars on their eyes and thigh high converse chuck taylors. Jim seems to be pretty proud of himself as a performer and decides to lip sync and dance at the same time. 12:25AM- I know this is lame, but I took some time off to go home a catch a nap. I have to drive later in the morning and I need some time to recharge. 4:15AM – I return during a meal time where pizza and moe’s burritos are being served. Normally I would inhale a Moe’s burrito, but I just wasn’t myself yet. I think the two hour nap at home did more harm than good. 5:58AM- Local musician/friend of TeamVOLS Dave Kennedy is playing some outstanding bluegrass music to a quiet reception. The dancers have hit a wall and are taking shelter in quiet corners of the gym, but this is not Dave’s first rodeo, he knows the drill. He throws everything but the kitchen sink at the crowd including Rocky Top and Old Crow Medicine Show’s Wagon Wheel to keep the crowd awake. 6:42AM – Another local group, 2nd string takes the stage. All club rats in attendance rejoice. 8:24AM- Panera Bread Bagels and Krispy Kreme doughnuts join forces to become a breakfast of champions. 9:12AM- We begin a shuttle service bringing cancer survivors and their families to the event from ETCH for a breakfast and the Kid’s carnival. At this same time, some bright person decides to ask one of the van drivers for directions to a campus location and then illegally parks their vehicle directly behind our van. This person is later towed restoring order to the world. 10:37AM- The Kid’s Carnival is in full swing with around 15 survivors and their families in attendance. Adding to the inflatable games and rides, Smokey and Tennessee athletes play and pose for pictures with the kids. One boy hugs Smokey for the best 12 minutes of his life. 10:45AM- Each cancer survivor is summoned to the middle of the gym for the Champions Run, a new tradition where each child is individually recognized for their struggle against cancer with a lap around the gym to thunderous applause. I have been to a lot of sporting events where the crowds were bigger and louder, but the energy in the gym is too much for me to take. I am so overcome by the love and generosity that I have to leave. I am so happy for these kids, but I am so sad that I have to count my dad as someone who could not beat cancer. I wish he could still be with me and I know that he would be crying at this moment with me. 11:19AM- The Kid’s Carnival is over and many of the families are ready to be shuttled back to the hospital. I take the wheel of the trusty 12 passenger van and shuttle families back and thank them for sharing the morning with us. 11:52AM- The total contribution amount is revealed by the student leadership $37,842.25. The middle numbers might be wrong; I forgot to write it down. 1:15PM- Everything is cleaned, packed up, and returned to its place at the University Center. Fin. There were a lot of funny moments and work in between, but I think that I hit the highlights. It has left me very impressed with the 300 students who produced and attended Dance Marathon and I hope you enjoyed this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment