Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It's Never Too Late...

To Start A New Career It’s been too long since I actually wrote a post worth reading, but as you will find out, I’ve had a lot going on in my life, and I refrained from writing too much for fear of spilling the beans…but now I can officially speak! Two and a half years ago, if you were to ask me where I saw myself as in terms of a career, I would quickly answer back and say that I could clearly picture myself as a professor or administrator on a college campus. I never would have thought I would end up in the private club industry. When we moved to Knoxville, I knew nothing about country clubs, dining clubs, business clubs, or sports clubs. All I did know was that a local country club that hosts a nationwide PGA event was searching for a communications assistant. I knew I had the communications stuff down, and I could wing the rest as long as I got that job. Never did I think the past two years would lead to what I hope to be a dream experience! All this has happened so quickly! Michael began applying for jobs in his hometown of Birmingham, AL, so I just took a quick look at postings one afternoon about 3 weeks ago and found a job I couldn’t resist and applied a few days later. The next day I talked to my current GM who not only knew my future GM but actually hired him for a club position a few years back. Hours later, a recommendation email was sent, and plans were made for an interview the following Monday! Since then, I’ve had two face-to-face interviews, and one phone interview before accepting a new position yesterday! I have officially made the journey from Communications Assistant in Knoxville to Member Relations Director in Birmingham, and I couldn’t be more excited, happy, scared, nervous and proud! A position in public relations is what I have wanted for a while, and I have worked very hard to get here! After getting into the private club business, I quickly realized how much I enjoyed the member relations aspects of the club environment from planning events and meeting with members to promotions, marketing, and communications. I feel so blessed to be given this opportunity to continue a career in a field I love and to be able to move to a city where we have some roots planted and friends waiting on us. Michael has a few tricks up his sleeve in Birmingham as well, but I have been instructed to keep his job stuff private. Does he realize who he is married to? It’s Never Too Late To Start A New Career… You can always expand your horizons Or change direction. Remain positive. Find a new work challenge- one that inspires you. Explore it. Chase it with passion.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! That is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations..you deserve everything that comes. I am glad to see your hard work pay off. And by the way, if you are half as good at public relations as you are at writing then you should do extremely well! i hope the blessings keep coming for you and Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats girl! Not that i'm surprised, you've always been brilliant and a natural leader- you will be fantastic! So proud of you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Clay and Taylor! You both almost made me cry! I'm closer to you girls, so some of ya'll better start visiting!

    ReplyDelete