Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's Never Too Late...

To Help Someone



My husband Michael teaches me this lesson all the time. I've said it over and over and over, probably enough times for you to tell me to "Shut Up Already," but I am married to the most giving man I know!


I am a selfish person by nature. I think it's probably because I am an only child and at 27 years old, I am still learning to share! I also grew up with a mom who did everything for me and am now married to a man who does so much to help out and never complains! It's easy for me to be selfish.


A few posts ago I talked about how content with life Michael is and the fact that he is an all around happy guy (which makes me insanely jealous), and I think it comes from his good nature and his willingness to help those in need. His life has so much purpose just because of the simple ways he helps people, and I hope to learn how to be more selfless because of him.


It took me about 30 seconds to think of quite a few things he has done recently to help someone:


Today, he donated a box of baseballs that belonged to his dad to the local baseball fields we walk by several times a week.


Today, he helped deliver items to the Boy Scouts of America who were taking donations for Nashvillians affected by the flood.


He donates money to his fraternity every year.


A month ago, he donated to the MS society to honor a friend's dad.


He helped organize a coat drive this winter.


He led groups of students on 3 different alternative break trips.


He attempted to mow our friend Chris' yard this weekend because he and his wife Nicole have been letting us stay with them while we find a place to live in Birmingham (he would have mowed the grass if the lawnmower battery worked).


Without a second thought, he jumped in the freezing lake a couple of weeks ago to help his friend Max who dislocated his shoulder while wakeboarding, and then he waited with him in the hospital for 4 hours while the rest of us were sunbathing at the lake.


Not only is Michael so giving, he is extremely humble, which means he is going to kill me when he reads this! But who cares, he lives a life of servitude and I look up to him every day. God placed him in my life to teach me so many things, and to help people is a lesson I learn from him quite often!


It's Never Too Late To Help Someone...


It brings joy to both parties.

It makes you a better person

and gives the receiver hope and faith.

It's usually reciprocated.

It gives life greater purpose.

2 comments:

  1. You are very lucky to have Michael in your life as I am lucky to have him in mine. It gives me peace of mind and happiness that I have a wonderful son-in-law who will love, care, and provide a wonderful life for the most important person in my life. Thank you Michael for being there for Brandi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! how sweet. you are very blessed. makes me want to help more people.

    Tagged you for an award on my latest post! come check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete