Thursday, April 21, 2011

Eggs Are Bad!

But wait...I thought eggs were good for you! What's all this about the "Incredible Edible Egg?" Eggs are good for you, eggs are bad for you, do you like eggs? Well then eat them!!!

The debate over eggs is one of a gazillion confusing issues we Americans have about food - I being one of them! What we eat should be easy, but I think we can all admit, what we put in our mouths is the topic of debate every day! We are obsessed! Off the top of my head, I can easily spout off different types of diets that are all supposed to produce miracles:

The Cabbage Soup Diet, South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Lemonade Diet, Hollywood Diet, Weight Watchers, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Nutrisystem, Vegetarian, Vegan, Grapefruit Diet, One Good Meal Diet, Slim Fast, Protein Shakes, Special K Diet, Soy Diet, Whole Wheat, No Red Meat, Diabetic Diet, Alli Weight Loss, Acai Berry, Low Fat, Zone Diet

Sadly, I knew all of these, but I promise I have not tried all of them! Ones I have kicked around a bit are the Atkins Diet, Vegetarian Diet, Slim Fast, and Whole Wheat.

About two years ago, I drastically cut down the consumption of meat. My anxiety was very severe, and I read several articles that claimed eating meat creates anxiety because the animal produces anxiety and adrenaline hormones when slaughtered, and these hormones are in the meat we eat. I don't doubt that there is merit to that argument, and I followed it strictly. So, for two years, I have been eating a ton of whole grain and dairy, almonds, some veggies and beans, little fruit, and lots of ice cream! I thought I was eating healthy because I didn't eat meat, and I ate whole grains.

My day to day anxiety has diminished compared to where it was; however, I have the brittlest nails, my stylist says my hair is thinning, I am always bloated, my stomach hurts every day, I have had little energy for a while and I just haven't been feeling my best. I don't feel bad, but I just don't feel really good either.

I started researching (because that's what I do) other diets, and I ended up so confused because everyone's opinion was so conflicting. Obviously my list of diets proves that point! I came to the conclusion that all of our bodies are different, and what I have been eating because someone told me to eat it may not be working. I need to figure out what works for me.

So, here are two "diets" that I have started to follow to see if they will improve my energy and curtail some of my symptoms. I don't really like to call them diets because they are more about changing my lifestyle and eating habits rather than losing weight. I want to feel better and be healthier, and I want to cut down on processed food.

I have pretty much combined the ideas of The Paleo Diet and The Blood Type Diet to suit what I want and like to eat. I was introduced to The Blood Type Diet by my coworker Keri whose trainer told her to try it. Basically, you eat and avoid the designated foods depending on your blood type. I am O Negative, and funny enough, I am supposed to avoid all grains and eat lots of meat (pork excluded), which is not even close to what I have been doing! Some fruits and veggies are excluded, and mostly all dairy is excluded. No Ice Cream!!!! Some of the foods that I am "not allowed to have," I refuse to give up. These include: avocado, oranges, strawberries, blackberries, eggplant, pistachios, peanuts, Greek yogurt, and coffee. Supposedly, my blood type receives the most benefits from beef and lamb, cod, olive oil, pinto beans and black eyed peas, broccoli and spinach, plums and tea. Mostly, I've followed the suggestions for meat and grain with this diet.

The Paleo Diet is interesting as well. This diet is followed much more strictly by major meat eaters who are trying to bulk up. Many who practice Crossfit follow this diet to add protein. I'm not interested in bulking up, but what I like is that it promotes whole foods. Processed foods are not allowed on this diet. It is strict when compared to the average American diet because it only allows foods from the Paleolithic Era, including grass fed meat, game, fish, vegetables, wild fruits, eggs, and nuts. Only water is allowed as your beverage of choice. That means NO dairy, beans, grains, sugar, coffee, tea, or alcohol. I found some great recipes that don't make this diet seem too bad. I just have trouble giving up beans and some dairy. I have been trying to eat less cheese, but I think eating yogurt is good for you. I can't and won't give up my one cup of coffee, and I don't want to give up my occasional glass of wine. Besides wine and cheese are perfect together!

Here's how I've been doing: My dinner at The Beacon last Saturday was sorta my last supper! For five days, I have given up all grain. I have eaten no bread and no sweets. I've increased my meat intake (grass fed), which has taken some getting used to. I've eaten lots of eggs, green salads with chickpeas, olives, feta, and balsamic vinegar, fajitas without tortillas, lots of water, and much more fruit. I have needed to increase my fruit intake for a while. I have eaten protein with every meal and snack.

The verdict: I feel really good! I think it may have a lot to do with no grain and no gluten. I'm not as bloated, and my stomach feels better. I have lost 1 1/2 pounds, my clothes fit looser, I get up easier in the morning, and I am not yawning all day. Hopefully, I'll have thicker hair and beautiful nails soon!

I am still researching ways to ensure I have enough fiber and calcium, but all in all, I think this way of eating could work. I did forget to mention that I fully intend to cheat once a week on Sundays. I gotta have a little ice cream and some biscuits in my life!

Don't forget that diets vary with every body. I have learned that I need to figure out what my body needs, and I may need to switch it up and add some grains back into my diet. But if you are interested in seeing what works for your blood type or looking into The Paleo Diet, see if it could make you feel better!

Oh yeah, and if you feel like eating an egg, then eat one!

No comments:

Post a Comment