Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mother Nature

Mother Nature has been pretty unforgiving for the past week as she wreaked havoc accross the Southeast. My family and friends experienced her wrath for two days in Arkansas while we experienced her devestation this afternoon. It's dark now, so most of the devestation won't be seen until tomorrow morning, but reports are coming in that more than 25 people have died in north Birmingham from the same tornado that devestated Tuscaloosa. There is no telling how many death and injuries have resulted accross Alabama.

My stomach was in knots this afternoon as I watched live coverage of the mile-wide tornado heading towards Tuscaloosa. I have never seen anything like it before, and it is a picture that will always be in my mind. The tornado was heading toward Birmingham, and Michael works in the city and had not made it home yet. Fortunately, he left in time and made it safely home before the storm moved into the city. This is the second time Birmingham was hit today, as several people were affected by fallen trees and power outages in the neighborhood we lived in when we first moved here.

I can't imagine what the victims of these tornadoes must be going through, and I pray that God will comfort them as they piece their lives back together. I feel blessed that we were spared because storms were all around us. I pray that all the storms will pass, and I am looking forward to a calmer month of May!


Methodist Church in Cullman, AL


Amazing picture, yet so eery


Tuscaloosa, AL


The tornadoes hit Birmingham later on today, so very few pictures are available. I am afraid that Birmingham will wake up to a very sad scene tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment