Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's Never Too Late...

To Plant a Tree
Happy Earth Day everyone!
In the spirit of this 40 year celebration, I thought how perfect would it be to take Mr. Lindsay's advice and plant myself a little tree!

Problem...we don't own a house, and we don't have a yard

Solution...plant a tree in someone else's yard

How...The Arbor Day Foundation makes it easy to buy & ship trees online

Plan...Buy and send a tree to my mom who has just moved into her first very own house. It's the cutest little place with two acres, which means she has more than enough space to plant a few trees. Plus, each day she can look out her window at the tree and think of me!

How perfect! I'm helping the planet and giving my mom a housewarming gift with a beautiful tree!

After going back and forth between a couple of trees, I decided on a Red Maple. It's fast growing, deer resistant (utmost importance), and beautiful in the fall. The best part is that it only costs $16.95 with tax and shipping!

Besides planting a tree, here are 10 easy ways to Go Green:

1. Save energy by washing clothes in cold water and switch to flourescent bulbs.
2. Take shorter showers.
3. If you eat meat, add one meatless meal a week. Meat costs a lot at the store-and it's even more expensive when you consider the related environmental and health costs.
4. Skip the water bottle.
5. Buy second hand products & furniture from Craigslist, garage sales, and antique stores.
6. Check out books at the library instead of buying new ones.
7. Recycle old reports and papers at work.
8. Keep electronics longer, and recycle them properly.
9. Make your own non-chemical cleaning products.
10. Unplug appliances when you aren't using them or get a "smart" power strip.

More ways to conserve can be found at World Watch.org.

It's not too late to celebrate Earth Day, so get up and go plant a tree!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get my Red Maple Tree. I'll get started picking out a spot. I think I will put it in the back yard since I have a den with walls of window's. Thank you for thinking of me and sending me something that will remind me of you (not that I don't think about you everyday). You are the best daughter ever. I Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ey,

    Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work







    Regards.

    Best Landscaping company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete