Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday Post 1 - Chillin' and Grillin'

Easter weekend was the most beautiful weekend we’ve had this year. Michael and I spent every waking moment outside the past few days, which is why I haven’t written any blog posts since Friday. It’s been too cold for too long, so there was no way I was going to spend time inside at my computer! Those of you who are closest to me know I don’t eat meat all too often, but this weekend the allure of grilling outside overcame my slight disdain of meat, and for four nights in a row, we enjoyed a delicious meal straight off the old charcoal grill. Friday night, our friends Emily and Joey joined us for some steaks and salmon, cold beverages, and Scattergories. The food was awesome, but the evening entertainment was the best part of the night! Not to toot my own horn, but I kicked butt in Scattergories. Us girls killed the boys with Emily coming in second place. Joey rounded out the bottom with his unique answers like “Parachute Package” for things you don’t want in the house and “A Long While” for naming a title of a book. Knowing none of us have heard of this particular book, Joey defended his answer by saying, “I’m sure a book with this title exists somewhere!” Saturday night, Michael and I grilled out again. He grilled fajita seasoned chicken breast, and we combined the chicken with leftover steak and grilled red peppers to make fajitas and tacos. YUMMY! To celebrate Easter, we had dinner outside (with our camping chairs and TV trays). We grilled swordfish and tuna and served our fish with green beans and mashed potatoes. Since it was a special occasion, I made chocolate fudge brownies for dessert.
Last night’s dinner was Grilled Fiesta Burgers, and it was my favorite! The burgers are super simple to make and sooooo delicious when topped with homemade guacamole. Here’s a recipe for the burgers and guacamole in case you want to create a crowd pleaser or wish to eat something tasty yourself! Hamburgers 1 pound ground beef or turkey 1 small red onion 1 cup of your favorite cheese shredded ½ packet ranch dressing mix Mix all ingredients together and form into patties. Cook on the grill or skillet. Serve on whole wheat buns with lettuce, tomatoes, and guacamole. Guacamole 3 very ripe avocadoes 1 packet store bought guacamole seasoning 1 can Rotel Peal and smash avocadoes in a sealable bowl. Drain juice from can of Rotel and add tomatoes to the avocadoes. Add ¾ to a full packet of guacamole seasoning and stir together. Michael and I like to make guacamole at least two hours before serving. Of course you can serve your hamburger with fries or chips and dip. For a healthier option, I made a side salad of arugula lettuce drizzled with balsamic vinegar and topped with guacamole.


All this grilling and eating is the reason I started Jillian Michaels' 30 day Shred routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment