Friday, April 2, 2010

Today's Soapbox - Hip Hip Hooray for the FAA

FAA to Allow Pilots to Fly while on Anti-Depressants

I applaud the Federal Aviation Agency for making this bold step towards ensuring pilot safety and mental wellbeing. I had no idea that pilots were not allowed to take anti-depressants without losing their jobs until I heard this on the news today. My first thought was, “how many stories have I heard about pilots flying planes while still drunk after a night on the town with no sleep (I’ve heard countless stories of this behavior from a good friend who was a flight attendant for several years and knows first-hand about pilot shenanigans), but anti-depressants aren’t suitable for flying.” How bass ackwards is that?

Pilots are human beings remember! They aren’t superheroes with superhuman strengths and enhanced mental capacities. They are like the rest of us. I couldn’t imagine how miserable I would feel if I became depressed but couldn’t take medicine for fear of losing my job. Talk about a tail spin into a black hole! More importantly, how scary is it for passengers like myself to be flying in a plane where pilots are self-medicating without consulting a doctor?

As a girl who suffers from anxiety and depression, I am thankful that America is finally waking up and the stigma of depression is slowly disappearing. Depression and anxiety are mental diseases that should be treated with the same respect as cancer and diabetes.

My hope is that pilots who have been scared to come forward in the past will finally have the courage to speak out and seek a proper diagnosis.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, not too sure I can agree with you on this one. While I do agree that antidepressants can make a huge difference in a person’s well being and taking them is nothing to be ashamed of – I do think pilots should be held to a higher health standard (much like I believe celebrities are role models and should maintain a higher morality standard.) There is good reason that depression and anti-depressants have been disqualifiers for aviators-that being safety. Having someone not mentally in the game is bad enough. Having a person with "drowsiness, fatigue, blurry vision, memory loss, and possible suicidal thoughts" responsible for cockpit duty is worse. Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot– just as not everyone can be a professional athlete, a movie star, the president, etc. Just an FYI– I can’t take Clariton to fly due to the side effects- pilots with uncontrolled high blood pressure can’t fly– but most blood pressure meds are on the no fly list! Pilots need to be both physically and mentally fit and avoid meds with side effects. I say keep the med list the way it is and have the FAA focus on duty day hours, pilot fatigue and runway incursions– the main factors in aviation accidents. While I agree self medication is irresponsible, I have a hard time believing the majority of those pilots doing so will come forward as they are still subject to intense mental screening multiple times a year and losing their license for a year. I hope this doesn't sound argumentative– I just meant it as another point of view :) You know I can't resist pilot talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blog commenting Taylor! I don't think you are being too argumentative at all! You are a pilot, so you are more aware of what is best for pilots. I do agree with you 110%that pilots should be held to a higher health standard, and I also agree that most won't come forward, but I feel that if pilots are suffering from depression and are self-medicating or are not medicating because of fear, then this may be a step in the right direction for some. I was hoping I would hear your point of view!

    ReplyDelete