Friday, March 25, 2011

Excuse Me Doctor, What Did You Say?

I had a scary doctor's appointment yesterday. I'm proud to say that I have not been to the doctor in a year, but I guess yesterday's appointment made up for it! I admit I let my symptoms pile up before I finally made an appointment to get myself examined yesterday. I've been feeling tired a lot lately, I've always had trouble sleeping, I've got a bad case of TMJ, and I found a decent sized lump on my neck the other day. It was the lump that finally made me make that call! Trust me...you don't want to search WebMD for "neck lumps" or you will scare yourself to death! The lump is more toward the back of my neck, so I assumed it was just a knot in a strained muscle since I sit at a desk all day. I figured the lack of sleep is just a symptom of my anxiety, the TMJ is something I am just going to have to live with, and being tired is just my nature! I rattled off all of my symptoms to the nurse, and she said the doctor would be in to see me in a few moments. Instead, a few seconds later, she came back in with the news that my doctor wanted her to prick my finger and check my white blood cell count because of the lump and my fatigue. HUH?! Prick what? I have Cancer? I have a Disease? White Blood Cell Count? Nerves rising, stomach sinking, clammy palms! How am I going to tell Michael and my mom I have cancer? And you wonder why I have anxiety! It's not self induced I promise!!! Finger pricked, and I'm back in the office. Doctor checks the lump, and she says it's definitely a very swollen lymph node we need to watch. She asks if I feel bad other than the fatigue. I don't feel sick or anything, so I'm confused about why my lymph node would be so swollen. But into the conversation, I draw a connection to the fact that I pulled a tick out of my head last week (I know, it's so gross!) after we had hiked in the Boulder Fields. My doctor concluded that most likely, that little tick bite is causing my lymph node to swell. I was feeling better, but then the doctor moves on to my TMJ and tells me that there is really nothing that can be done. Here are the progression of steps I was offered: 1. Start with an anti-inflammatory 2. Move on to a muscle relaxer 3. then see an oral surgeon and have my jaw broken! I DON'T THINK SO!!! I left the doctor's office a little shaken up, but I was over the experience pretty quickly. Last night, however, I opened up my anti-inflammatory for my TMJ and antibiotic for my tick bite. The anti-inflammatory didn't scare me, but you should see the freaking horse pill I have to take to cure my lymph node! It's huge! As I always do, I read about the antibiotic before taking it, and I was shocked when it stated plainly that it is mostly prescribed to TREAT and PREVENT MALARIA! All I have is a tick bite from the Boulder Fields in Hoover, Alabama. I haven't been treking through the continent of Africa!!! I hate taking medicine, especially something strong enough to cure malaria! I felt doomed! Well...I sucked it up and have taken two horse pills so far, and that little lump seems a bit smaller today. I hope I'm in the clear, but I promise you I don't plan to have my jaw broken anytime soon!

2 comments: