Saturday, March 13, 2010

Brandi's Trip Home

Well...I started my day off with a homemade breakfast of champions complete with my very own huevos rancheros burrito with eggs of course, refried black beans, salsa, and cheese on a whole wheat tortilla accompanied with a 1/2 caff coffee. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Michael bought me half caff because he knows I don't want to quit drinking coffee and thought this would be a perfect compromise. I actually feel fine after drinking it, so this might actually work! I know my green tea is healthier for me, so I might try drinking it on the weekdays and treating myself to coffee on the weekends. Sounds good doesn't it? After breakfast, Michael, Scarlett, and I went to Lakeshore Park and walked the 2 mile trail and quickly hurried back so Michael could watch UT vs. Kentucky. He is currently yelling at the tv while I am trying to write this blog. Scarlett is pooped out on the couch after chasing birds through the mud. I can't tell you how happy I am to be writing today. And Watch out! I'm even going to post some pics today in November Photography! Like I said in the previous two posts, I have been in Arkansas for a little spring break trip. You know you are older and wiser when you look forward to spending spring break with your mom chilling out in the country rather than partying it up on the beach in Panama City. (That was a fun spring break though). I took the trip home because Michael was going to be gone on a spring break trip of his own to Charleston, SC. (He will blog about his trip later.) I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for me and the baby to go visit my mom and friends. Oh how grateful I am for Michael who always offers to drive most of the way on our trips. Driving sucks, especially on I-40 when there's nothing pretty to look at. But we made good time, and I had a better experience driving than I thought I would. Scarlett and I arrived at my aunt and uncle's house on Saturday, and we were greeted with a nice barbecue dinner smoked by my uncle Bobby. I'm not a big barbecue fan, but it was delish! Later that night, I met some of my girlfriends for a second dinner (oink oink) at Lulav in Little Rock to celebrate Joni's birthday. I don't get to see these girls very often at all, so it was great to catch up. We all went to college together, and I love how we can always pick back up though we are all living in different places.




Me and the Birthday Girl Joni!


Joni, me, and Andrea!



The group: Me, Andrea, Taylor, Joni, and Lonnie


The next three days were spent shopping, shopping, and more shopping. This is what my mom and I do best together. I got some rockin' deals on dresses and tops, so I was pretty happy. We also got pedicures one day, which is something we always do to treat ourselves when we are together. One of the most fun activites we did was walking "The Big Dam Bridge" over the Arkansas River. I really think they should have named the bridge something better, but I guess it gets your attention. My Aunt Paula joined us, and it was so beautiful to walk over the river at sunset, but I am still kicking myself for not bringing my camera. The coolest part was actually seeing a huge barge go through the dam. I have never seen how a lock and dam works, so this was so neat and a bit scary seeing how they lock a huge barge from one part of the river to the other right under the bridge we were standing on. Too bad I don't have pictures!!! This was a great trip home, and I was so glad to spend time with my mom and see how well she is doing. She is happier than I have seen her in a long time, and I am so glad I got to spend more time with my Aunt Paula and Uncle Bobby and with my cousins Kelsea and Sydney. They are such great girls. I am so happy to call them family.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you I-40 sucks! Worst drive ever. However, I have a lot of resentment towards I-40 because that is where my panic attacks started. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like I have a lot of resentment and anxiety about flying. This weekend was hell because I can't stop worrying about my trip next week.

    ReplyDelete