Friday, March 19, 2010

It's Never Too Late...


To Get A Life

When someone tells me to get a life, what are they implying? Does getting a life mean I should

quit worrying over the little things
drink beer on weekdays
stay up past my bedtime
go out in the sun without sunscreen
take my sweet tea with sugar not Splenda
eat beef instead of chicken or white instead of wheat
wear heels
be spontaneous

If I had $5 dollars for every time someone told me to “get a life” or to “just live a little,” I wouldn’t be paying rent on a two bedroom town home people. I’d be shacked up with Michael and Scarlett in a mansion on the beach!

I’ve always been the responsible one, the girl who takes charge and makes sure things get done. I’m not the girl who lets go and lets things happen. I’m not the first girl you would call to go party with, but I’d be the girl you would call if you needed help.

I am the girl who listens when you need to pour out your heart. I’m the designated driver, planner, and caretaker. Because I’m this girl, I’ve been told I need to let loose and have more fun. In other words…I need to get a life.

A year or two ago, you would have hurt my feelings if you told me to get a life. But now I know more of who I am, and I am discovering the meaning of my life as we speak. I know Kevin was searching for his personal meaning in life when he read this book. I truly believe he found happiness before he left this world, and I know he would want Michael and I to do the same before it’s too late.

With that said…my life is about being a good wife and daughter, accepting who I am, learning new things, not getting sunburn, being healthy, writing, traveling, wearing comfortable shoes, taking pictures of beautiful things, and getting my 8 hours of sleep!

It’s Never Too Late to Get a Life...

Slow down.
Look around.
Feel your heart.
Find the people and things that you love.
Care for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment