Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's Never Too Late...

On Sunday, Michael and I dove right into the ever so joyous task of spring cleaning. I admit, I am kind of regretting the big clean because it no where near feels like spring outside. Oh well, it was time to give our home a bath, and I always enjoy finding little treasures that come with decluttering. This time I stumbled on what I think is going to be a valuable find!

Since Michael's dad passed away in November, we have been storing a box of his belongings in our spare bedroom. We finally opened the box and went through his things we had carried with us from his home in Florida. Most items were simple everyday things, and others were sentimental to Michael, but one item in particular caught my attention. It was a small, vintage looking book with a black bicycle sketched on the front cover. Above the bike, was the title It's Never Too Late...172 simple acts to change your life.

This book could not have found me at a better time. As I shared in a post in February, my anxiety over the past two years along with Kevin's death, my parent's divorce, and a few other circumstances, have done wonders on me. I often question what the meaning of my life is, and I get down in the dumps because I never feel like I am doing enough, which only makes me more anxious. I put so much pressure on myself to do something big or to be someone special, which is a habit that probably needs intense therapy. I all too often forget that a simple smile, a kind spirit, and a positive attitude can make a difference in my life and help someone else who may be struggling.

The whole premise behind this book written by Patrick Lindsay is perfect. It is never too late to regain balance and make small steps toward living a better life. With simple acts and a willingness to grow, it is possible to seize the day and live fully.

So for the few months, I will be sharing with you what I read in this book and the steps I take to carry out each lesson and to Sieze the Day!

Yesterday, the lessons began:

It's Never too late...to make plans

I honestly laughed at Mr. Lindsay's first step. Are you serious? This is a piece of cake! I am always making plans for the future because I am often dissatisfied or tired of the present. I wanted to give this thing an honest effort though, so I thought about it for a while, and I finally decided on some plans I've been needing to make. My plan is to do a quiet time every day for the next 7 days, which I began this morning. For the next week, I plan to take a few minutes out of my day to renew, to pray, to read, and to breathe deeply. I hope I will feel renewed enough to continue on because I haven't had a quiet time in I don't know when, and I think this is an important plan I need to make.

I honestly think God knew I needed this book, and I am grateful that it found me. God Bless you Kevin!

No comments:

Post a Comment